Frank H. Schroeder, a resident of Bartelso, is the son of one of the pioneers of Clinton County whose name was the same as that borne by our subject. The father was born in Hanover, Germany, and there grew to manhood, emigrating thence to the United States and proceeding, direct to Cleveland, Ohio. There he met and married Katrina BECKMAN, and the two bound themselves to work for one year in Cleveland in order to secure the money necessary to pay their fare to Illinois. Coming to Clinton County, they rented land, but such was their frugality, energy and industry that they were not obliged long to remain tenants of land belonging to others. They purchased a farm, which is still in the family, and added to the original tract until at one time they owned two hundred and seventy acres in Germantown Township. This property the father bequeathed to his children at the time of his demise, and not only did he leave them land, but also what is more priceless--the heritage of a good name and an honorable life.
Ten children were born to the union of Frank H. and Katrina Schroeder, of whom we note the following: Mary, Conrad, Katie and Henry are deceased; Elizabeth married P. KLINEKORTE; Timodia died in childhood; Frank H. is the next in order of birth, Agnes, the wife of Frank MOLITER, lives on the old homestead; Joseph is a resident of Germantown; and Herman died in boyhood. The father of this family was an active member of the Catholic Church and took an interest in every praiseworthy enterprise. He took an especial interest in the promotion of the community in which he resided, and its development was greatly enhanced by his efforts.
The subject of this biographical sketch has spent his entire life in Clinton County, having been born here in 1846. In the common schools he gained a good education, and upon the home farm he acquired a practical knowledge of agriculture. Upon arriving at man's estate he established domestic ties, and was united in marriage in April, 1872, with Miss Elizabeth, daughter of John DIERKER. Mr. and Mrs. Schroeder were the parents of nine children, viz.: Annie, the wife of William USSELMANN; Frank, who died in childhood; Mary, John, Sophia; Paul, deceased; Rosa, Henry and George.
Adjoining Bartelso, and to the west lies the farm owned by Mr. Schroeder, which formerly consisted of one hundred and sixty acres, but has been increased in extent until it now comprises three hundred acres. In 1891 he purchased property in town, and erecting a residence here, rented his farm to tenants and removed to Bartelso. In this place he has since engaged in business as a dealer in grain and manufacturer of brick. In religious connections he and his wife are members of the Catholic Church. In politics he is a Democrat. While a resident of Germantown Township, he served as Road Overseer for two years and as Highway Commissioner for three years.
Source: Portrait and Biographical Record of Clinton, Washington, Marion and Jefferson Counties, Illinois, 1894, Chapman Publishing Co., Chicago, IL
Submitted by: Connie Albers
Click on the letters below to see an index of obituaries starting with that letter