This translation/transcription Copyright© by Gloria Dettleff
This is a listing of the burial records of St. John United Church of Christ starting with the earliest surviving records.
The church was also known as St. John Evangelical and then later as St. John Evangelical & Reformed Church before becoming St. John United Church of Christ (UCC). Here is a Short Course in the History of the United Church of Christ (external link).
The burial records begin with the 1890 entries and are written in German until about 1920. These early German records were translated in good faith for this database.
The church has always been located at the N. Walnut location, which is only about 6 blocks from the Trenton Cemetery. Trenton Cemetery dates back to approximately 1864 so there was probably no need for the church to have its own cemetery.
Although the Trenton Cemetery is nearby and it is most likely that the majority of the early burials with no location specified took place there, it is not absolute because many burials from this church are in other locations and are so noted in this listing. It is also possible that the person was buried in Trenton Cemetery but has no marker or the marker has deteriorated and was removed long ago. For this reason entries stating that they were buried in Trenton Cemetery were added to the Trenton Cemetery listing for cross reference. In the early days there is also the possibility that the person was buried in the family farm grave yard.
A big thank you is extended to Ms. Lisa Campbell, church secretary and Rev. Linzy Collins for their assistance with this project.