These death records are from the State of Illinois web page and are provided here for assistance in finding alternate spellings and so our Clinton County Searchers will find them. As usual with early, hand written Clinton County clerk records, be vigilant for the wrong interpretation between the "u" and the "n" and between the "L" and the "S". Background material and is given on the State's web page.
The state recommended records of deaths be kept in 1877, but it did not become a requirement until 1916 so many deaths were not recorded. Some people estimate that only 70% of the deaths were registered before the laws were strengthened.
The full record information does NOT contain the parents' names but may contain the following items (not every record includes all this information):
|Color||Age||Occupation||Date of Death|
|Marital Status||Nationality||Where Born||Where Died|
|Cause of Death||Complications||How long sick||Where Buried|
|When Buried||Undertaker and address||Physician and address||Additional comments|
If you want a printed copy of the Death Record:
- Rent the microfilm through your local Family History
Center. There is one copy of that microfilm permanently at
the O'Fallon, IL FHC.
- If the death date is between December 1878 and June 1903, and if the name is also in the Death Record Book 1, we will do lookups upon request. To have a lookup done, Contact Us and please include the page and record number as listed in the Death Record Book 1.
- You could order/pick-up a copy through the Illinois State Archives' Illinois Regional Archives Depository (IRAD) located on the SIU Carbondale campus.
- You could order/pick-up a copy of the death certificate from the Clinton
County Clerk's office.
- If none of these work for you, Contact Us and we will try to help.
If anyone would like to volunteer to do look-ups or make copies for other researchers, please let Contact Us. Some locations allow the use of thumb drives and digital camera making copying easier. The USGenWeb Project and its affiliated projects are completely free and do NOT charge for any services, however, we hope requesters would reimburse your expenses for items like gasoline, copying, and postage.