John Nordmann, a retired resident of Carlyle, was born in Prussia in 1824, and in the land of his birth continued to reside until sixteen years of age. In 1840 he came to America in company with his parents, Mr. and Mrs. France Nordmann, also two sisters, Elizabeth and Ilgas. There are two brothers, Frank and Philip, who still reside in Germany. Upon coming to the United States, the family proceeded direct to Illinois and settled in Madison County, where he remained for a short time. Later he came to Clinton County, becoming one of its pioneers, and here he has since made his home.
The marriage of John Nordmann united him with Gazina SCHUMAKER, and unto them were born nine children, only two, however, becoming heads of families: Margareta, who married Bennett ESS and died in Breese, leaving four children; and J. Ferdinand, one of the prominent and successful farmers of Germantown Township, Clinton County. The last-named was born in 1850, in the township where he now resides, and here his education was gained in the common schools of the neighborhood. At the age of twenty years he married Miss Gazina KORTE, and about the same time settled upon his present farm, which he purchased from his father. Upon this place he has since conducted a general farming business, and through enterprise and the exercise of good judgment in all his transactions he has achieved more than ordinary success. The improvements noticeable on the farm represent the result of his own efforts, he having erected a set of buildings and embellished the place with other first-class improvements.
The union of Mr. and Mrs. Nordmann has resulted in the birth of twelve children, of whom nine are living. The eldest, Mary, became a sister of charity, and died in 1893, at the age of twenty-two. John and Herman died in childhood. The surviving members of the family circle are named as follows: Conrad, Bernard, Henry, Annie, Lizzie, Hermann, Frank, Ferdinand and Joseph. In religious belief Mr. Nordmann and his family are active members of the Catholic Church at Bartelso, in which he has served as Director. Politically a Democrat, he has taken an active part in politics, and in 1892 served as a member of the Township Central Committee. For six years he has been Highway Commissioner, for four years officiated as Justice of the Peace, for twelve years or more has been one of the School Directors in his district, and for five years has represented Germantown Township upon the Board of Supervisors of Clinton County. For eight years he filled the position of Drainage Commissioner in the Hanover Drainage and Levy District, covering three thousand acres on the Kaskaskia River. For three or four years he served alone in this position, after which there were two gentlemen appointed to aid him. In addition to these positions, he has frequently acted as delegate to the Democratic County or Congressional Conventions, and is recognized as a leader in his party in this section of the state.
Source: Portrait and Biographical Record of Clinton, Washington, Marion and Jefferson Counties, Illinois, 1894, Chapman Publishing Co., Chicago, IL
Submitted by: Connie Albers
Click on the letters below to see an index of obituaries starting with that letter